Gilles M. Leclerc, Ph.D.
- Fax: 305-243-2691
- Assistant Professor
My research interest is focused on the development of novel therapeutic approaches to improve cure rates for children with leukemia. In this aspect, we identified the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), a master regulator of bioenergetics, as potential target for acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) therapy due to its effects on cell growth, proliferation, and cell survival (Molecular Cancer 6:46, 2007). In order to determine its mechanism of action, we are currently investigating the crosstalk between AMPK signaling and other critical metabolic pathways such as the insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor (IGF-1R), the PI3K/Akt/mTOR, and RAS/cRAF/MEK/ERK signaling cascades. This work should lead to the identification of additional potential cellular targets for the treatment of childhood ALL.
University of Montreal
University of Montreal
- Leclerc G.M., Leclerc G.J., Fu G., and Barredo J.C. (2010) AMPK-induced activation of Akt by AICAR is mediated by IGF-1R dependent and independent mechanisms in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Journal of Molecular Signaling 5:15. EPub 2010 Sept 23.
- Leclerc G.J., Mou C., Leclerc G.M., Mian A.M., and Barredo J.C. (2010) Histone deacetylase inhibitors induce FPGS mRNA expression and intracellular accumulation of long-chain methotrexate polyglutamates in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: implications for combination therapy. Leukemia 24:552-562. EPub 2010 Jan 14.
- Bose S.K., Leclerc G.M., Vasquez-Martinez R., and Boockfor F.R. (2010) Administration of connexin43 siRNA abolishes secretory pulse synchronization in GnRH clonal cell populations. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology 314:75-83. Epub 2009 Aug 28.
- Leclerc G.M., Bose S.K., and Boockfor F.R. (2008) Specific GATA-binding elements in the GnRH promoter are required for gene expression pulse activity: Role of GATA-4 and GATA-5 in this intermittent process. Neuroendocrinology 88:1-16. Epub 2008 Feb 6.
- Sengupta T.K., Leclerc G.M., Hsieh-kinser T.T., Leclerc G.J., Singh I., and Barredo J.C. (2007) Cytotoxic Effect of 5-Aminoimidazole-4-Carboxamide-1-ß-4-Ribofuranoside (AICAR) on Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) Cells: Implication for Targeted Therapy. Molecular Cancer 6:46.
- Leclerc G.M., and Boockfor F.R. (2007) Calcium influx and DREAM protein are required for GnRH gene expression pulse activity. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology 267:70-79.
- Leclerc G.J., Leclerc G.M., Hsieh-Kinser T.T., and Barredo J.C. (2006) Analysis of folylpoly-?-glutamate synthetase gene expression in human B-precursor ALL and T-lineage ALL cells. BMC Cancer 6:132.
- Leclerc G.M., and Boockfor F.R. (2005) Identification of a novel OCT1 binding site that is necessary for the elaboration of pulses of rat GnRH promoter activity. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology 245:86-92.
- Leclerc G.M., and Boockfor F.R. (2005) Pulses of prolactin promoter activity depend on a non-canonical E-box that can bind the circadian proteins Clock and Bmal1. Endocrinology 146:2782-2790.
- Leclerc G.M., Leclerc G.J., Shorte S.L., Frawley L.S., and Boockfor F.R. (2002) Cloning and mRNA expression of the Ca2+-binding DREAM protein in the pituitary. General and Comparative Endocrinology 129:45-55.
- Vazquez-Martinez R., Leclerc G.M., Wierman M.E., and Boockfor F.R. (2002) Episodic activation of the rat GnRH promoter: Role of the homeoprotein Oct-1. Molecular Endocrinology 16:2093-2100.
- Leclerc G.J., Leclerc G.M., and Barredo J.C. (2002) Real-Time RT-PCR analysis of mRNA decay: half-life of ß-actin mRNA in human leukemia CCRF-CEM and Nalm-6 cells. Cancer Cell International 2:1-5.
- Shorte S.L., Leclerc G.M., Vazquez-Martinez R., Leaumont D.C., Faught W.J., Frawley L.S., and Boockfor F.R. (2002) PRL gene expression in individual living mammotropes displays distinct functional pulses that oscillate in a noncircadian temporal pattern. Endocrinology 143:1126-1133.
- Gencic S., Leclerc G.M., Gorlatova N., Peariso K., Penner-Hahn J.E., and Grahame D.A. (2001) Zinc-thiolate intermediate in catalysis of methyl group transfer in Methanosarcina barkeri. Biochemistry 40:13068-13078.
- Leclerc G.M., Boockfor F.R., Faught, W.J., and Frawley L.S. (2000) Development of a destabilized firefly luciferase enzyme for measurement of gene expression. BioTechniques 29:590-601.
- Han K., Li L., Leclerc G.M., Hays A.M., and Ely B. (2000) Isolation and characterization of microsatellite loci for striped bass (Morone saxatilis). Marine Biotechnology 2:405-408.
- Leclerc G.M., Han K., Leclerc G.J., and Ely B. (1999) Characterization of a highly repetitive sequence conserved among the North American Morone species. Marine Biotechnology 1:122-130.
- Alvarado Bremer J.R., Leclerc G.M., and Ely B. (1998) Mitochondrial and nuclear DNA analyses in the study of swordfish, Xiphias gladius, population structure. NOAA Technical Report NMFS 142:211-217.
- Diaz M., Leclerc G.M., and Ely B. (1997) Nuclear DNA markers reveal low levels of genetic divergence among Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico populations of striped bass. Transaction of the American Fisheries Society 126:163-165.
- Leclerc G.M., and Grahame D.A. (1996) Methylcobamide:Coenzyme M methyltransferase isozymes from Methanosarcina barkeri: Physicochemical characterization, cloning, sequence analysis, and heterologous gene expression. Journal of Biological Chemistry 271:18725-18731.
- Leclerc G.M., Diaz M., and Ely B. (1996) Use of PCR-RFLP assays to detect genetic variation at single-copy nuclear loci in striped bass (Morone saxatilis). Molecular Marine Biology and Biotechnology 5:138-144.
- Leclerc G.M., Ely B., Xu X.-L., and Harrell R.M. (1996) Gynogen production in hybrid striped bass. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 27:119-125.
- Woods L.C., Ely B., Leclerc G., and Harrell R.M. (1995) Evidence for genetic purity of captive and domestic striped bass broodstocks. Aquaculture 137:41-44.
- Diaz M., Leclerc G.M., Ely B., and Bulak J.S. (1995) Development of PCR-based genomic DNA assays to assess genetic variation in the striped bass Santee-Cooper River population, South Carolina. American Fisheries Society 15:561.
- Leclerc G., Sirard C., and Drapeau G.R. (1989) The Escherichia coli cell division mutation ftsM1 is in serU. Journal of Bacteriology 171:2090-2095.