Statistics related to the endocrine system:
Consider the following statistics, as they relate to the endocrine system:
- About 210,000 people with acute pancreatitis are admitted to hospitals in the United States each year.
- Addison's disease and Cushing's syndrome are rare diseases that involve the adrenal glands.
- Graves' disease is a condition that causes an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) and affects less than 1 percent of the US population.
- The most common form of thyroid disorders, hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), affects between one percent and two percent of the population in communities where iodine is plentiful. It occurs more frequently in older women, and is ten times more common in women than in men.
- Hyperparathyroidism, in which the parathyroid is overactive, affects about 100,000 US adults.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Endocrinology