Atil Y. Kargi, M.D.
- Fax: 305-243-6575
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Internal Medicine
Diseases of the pituitary gland including pituitary tumors and hypopituitarism
Hyperprolactinemia (elevated prolactin levels)
Growth Hormone deficiency
Male hypogonadism (low testosterone levels)
Male reproductive disorders including infertility and erectile dysfunction
Disease of the adrenal gland including adrenal tumors
Thyroid disorders including thyroid cancer
Parathyroid disease and osteoporosis
Type 1 diabetes and insulin pump therapy
Disorders of lipid metabolism (elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Bd of Int Med-Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
- Assistant Clinical Professor
- Program Director, J. Maxwell McKenzie Fellowship Program
Growth hormone deficiency in adults, tumors of the pituitary and adrenal glands, medical education.
- Xu Chengyu, Ricciuti A, Caturegli P, Keene CD, Kargi AY. “Autoimmune lymphocytic hypophysitis in association with autoimmune eye disease and sequential treatment with infliximab and rituximab,” Pituitary, Sep 16, 2014
- Kargi AY, Iacobellis G, “Adipose tissue and Adrenal glands: novel pathophysiological mechanisms and clinical applications,” International Journal of Endocrinology, PMID 25018768, Epub Jun 11, 2014
- Sabharwal AK, Kargi AY, “Hypopituitarism,” Online textbook chapter in 5 Minute Clinical Consult, updated annually 2010 - 2014
- Sabharwal AK, Kargi AY, “Hyperthyroidism,” Online textbook chapter in 5 Minute Clinical Consult, 2013
- Merriam GR, Kargi AY, “Hypopituitarism,” Online textbook chapter in Clinical Decision Support – Endocrinology, 2013
- Iacobellis G, Petramala L, Barbaro G, Kargi AY, Serra V, Zinnamosca L, Colangelo L, Marinelli C, Ciardi A, De Toma G, Letizia, “Epicardial fat thickness and left ventricular mass in subjects with adrenal incidentalomas,” Endocrine, Oct; 44(2): 532-536, 2013
- Brito JP, Domecq JP, Prutsky G, Malaga G, Young L, Kargi AY, “Rhabdomyolysis and myopathy as the only manifestations of severe hypothyroidism secondary to Hashimoto's thyroiditis,” Revista Peruana Medicina Experimetal y Salud Publica, Mar;30(1):129-132, 2013
- Kargi AY, Merriam GR. “Diagnosis and treatment of growth hormone deficiency in adults”. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2013 Jun;9(6):335-45
- Reed ML, Merriam GR, Kargi AY. “Adult growth hormone deficiency – benefits, side effects and risks of growth hormone replacement”. Front Endocrinol 2013 Jun 4;4:64
- Kargi AY, Merriam GR. “Testing for Growth Hormone Deficiency in Adults: Doing Without Growth Hormone-releasing Hormone”. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2012 Aug;19(4):300-5
- Kargi AY, Merriam GR, “Age-related Changes in the Growth Hormone Axis and Growth Hormone Therapy in the Elderly,” Online textbook chapter in www.endotext.org, 2011 (update 2014)
- Han CY, Kargi AY, Chait A, et al. Differential effect of saturated and unsaturated free fatty acids on the generation of monocyte adhesion and chemotactic factors by adipocytes: dissociation of adipocyte hypertrophy from inflammation. Diabetes. 2010 Feb;59(2):386-96.
- Chiba T, Han CY, Vaisar T, Shimokado K, Kargi A, Chen M, Wang S, Heinecke JW, and Chait A, “Serum amyloid A3 does not contribute to circulating SAA levels,” Journal of Lipid Research, Jul;50(7):1353-6, 2009
- Kargi AY, Trence DL. “HDL cholesterol: Rationale for targeting lipid levels beyond LDL cholesterol”. Review of Endocrinology Feb 2008: 22-27
2014 PAFF Award: Donald Temple “Unsung Hero” award for commitment to excellence in medical student education, awarded by the student council of the University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine.
2008 Endocrinology Fellowship
University of Washington
2005 Internal Medicine Residency
University of Pittsburgh
Dokuz Eylul University
Dr. Kargi is assistant professor of clinical medicine and J. Maxwell McKenzie Fellowship program director at University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Dr. Kargi obtained his medical degree in Izmir, Turkey. He completed internal medicine residency at the University of Pittsburgh and fellowship in endocrinology at the University of Washington in Seattle, WA. During his fellowship Dr. Kargi performed basic science research investigating the mechanisms linking inflammation with lipoprotein metabolism and atherosclerosis.