Ofelia A. Alvarez, M.D.
- Fax: 305-689-7211
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology (Pediatrics)
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
- Medical Director, Pediatric Sickle Cell Program
- Professor of Clinical Pediatrics
General research interests: Sickle cell nephropathy Sickle cell pain Stroke in children and adults with sickle cell disease Chronic organ dysfunction in sickle cell disease Current clinical trials: 1. Center investigator, Evaluation of Purified Poloxamer 188 in Children in Crisis (EPIC): A Phase 3 Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter Clinical Trial of MAST-188 (Purified Poloxamer 188) Injection in Children with Sickle Cell Disease Experiencing Vaso-Occlusive Crisis. Sponsor: MAST Therapeutics, Inc. 2. Center investigator, A Phase II, Multicenter, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind, 12-Month Study to Assess Safety and Efficacy of SelG1 With or Without Hydroxyurea Therapy in Sickle Cell Disease Patients with Sickle Cell-Related Pain Crises (SUSTAIN). Sponsor: Selexys 3. Center investigator, BABY HUG Follow Up II. Sponsor: NHLBI
- Raj VM, Freundlich M, Hamideh D, Alvarez O, Seeherunvong W, Abitbol C, Katsoufis C, Chandar J, Ruiz P, Zilleruelo G. Abnormalities in renal tubular phosphate handling in children with sickle cell disease. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014 Dec; 61(12):2267-70.
- Hamideh D, Raj V, Harrington T, Li H, Margolles E, Amole F, Garcia-Buitrago M, Ruiz P, Zilleruelo G, Alvarez O. Albuminuria correlates with hemolysis and NAG and KIM-1 in patients with sickle cell anemia. Pediatr Nephrol 2014 Oct; 29 (10): 1997-2003.
- Alvarez O, Yovetich NA, Scott JP, Owen W, Miller ST, Schultz W, Lockhart A, Aygun B, Flanagan J, Bonner M, Mueller BU, Ware RE, for the Investigators of the Stroke With Transfusions Changing to Hydroxyurea Clinical Trial (SWiTCH). Pain and other non-neurological adverse events in children with sickle cell anemia and previous stroke who received hydroxyurea and phlebotomy or chronic transfusions and chelation: Results from the SWiTCH Clinical Trial. Am J Hematol 2013 Nov; 88(11): 932-38,
- Hamideh D, Alvarez O. Sickle cell disease related mortality in the United States (1999-2009), Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013; 60(9): 1482-1486.
- Alvarez O, Miller ST, Wang WC, Luo Z, McCarville MB, Schwartz GJ, Thompson B, Howard T, Iyer RV, Rana SR, Rogers ZR, Sarnaik SA, Thornburg CD, Ware RE; the BABY HUG Investigators. Effect of hydroxyurea treatment on renal function parameters: Results from the multi-center placebo-controlled BABY HUG clinical trial for infants with sickle cell anemia. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012 Oct; 59(4):668-674.
- Charaf Eddine A, Alvarez O, Lipschultz SE, Kardon R, Arheart K, Swaminathan S. Ventricular structure and function in children with sickle cell disease using conventional and tissue Doppler echocardiography. Am J Cardiol 2012 May 1; 109(9):1358-1364.
- Hustace T, Fleisher J, Sanchez Varela A, Podda A, Alvarez O. Increased prevalence of false positive hemoglobinopathy newborn screening in premature infants, Pediatr Blood Cancer 2011 Dec 1; 57(6): 1039-43.
- Adamkiewcz TV, Abboud MR, Paley C, Olivieri N, Kirby-Allen M, Vichinsky E, Casella JF, Alvarez OA, Barredo JC, Lee MT, Iyer RV, Kutlar A, McKie KM, McKie V, Odo N, Gee B, Kwiatkowski JL, Woods GM, Coates T, Wang W, Adams RJ. Serum Ferritin Response to Iron Load from Blood Transfusion in Children with Sickle Cell Disease is Non-Linear, High Levels Are Associated with Significant Iron Overload and Liver Injury. Blood 2009; 114(21): 4632-38,
- Ware RE, Rees RC, Sarnaik SA, Iyer RV, Alvarez OA, Casella JF, Shulkin BL, Shalaby-Rana E, Strife F, Miller JH, Lane PA, Wang WC, Miller ST, and the BABY HUG Investigators. Renal Function in Infants with Sickle Cell Anemia: Baseline Data from the BABY HUG Trial. J Pediatr. 2010; 156:66-70.
- Alvarez O, Rodriguez-Cortes H, Robinson N, Lewis N, Diaz Pow-Sang C, Lopez-Mitnik G, Paley C. Adherence to Deferasirox in Children and Adolescents with Sickle Cell Disease during One Year of Therapy. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2009; 31(10):739-44.
- Aygun B, McMurray MA, Schultz WH, Kwiatkowski JL, Hilliard L, Alvarez O, Heeney M, Kalinyak K, Lee MT, Miller S, Helms RW, Ware RE for the SWiTCH Trial Investigators. Short Report: Chronic Transfusion Practice for Children with Sickle Cell Anaemia and Stroke, British Journal of Hematology, 145 (4): 524-528, 2009.
- Alvarez O, Lopez-Mitnik G, Zilleruelo G. Short-Term Follow-Up of Patients with Sickle Cell Disease and Albuminuria. Pediatr Blood & Cancer; 50: 1236-9, 2008.
- Alvarez O, Montane B, Lopez G, Wilkinson J, Miller T. Early Blood Transfusions Protect Against Microalbuminuria in Children with Sickle Cell Disease. Pediatr Blood & Cancer, 47: 71-76, 2006.
- Alvarez O, Zilleruelo G, Wright D, Montane B, Lopez-Mitnik G. Serum Cystatin C Levels in Sickle Cell Disease. Pediatric Nephrology, 21: 533-537, 2006.
- The Optimizing Primary Stroke Prevention in Sickle Cell Anemia (STOP 2) Trial Investigators, Discontinuing Prophylactic Transfusions Used to Prevent Stroke in Sickle Cell Disease. New Engl J Med; 353: 2769-2778, 2005.